Hi, I'm Oshyan - admin and lifelong tech enthusiast

Hi all, my name is Oshyan (“ocean”), one of your friendly community admins. I showed up in The Productivists Discord fairly recently, but I quickly got excited about some of the fascinating and well-informed conversations going on around various apps, workflows, and PKM and productivity methods. What I particularly liked was the sense that everyone was open to and exploring multiple options to find what worked best for them. The Productivists community isn’t a group of app or workflow loyalists, it’s a group of life-long learners and optimizers, always working to improve their processes and tools. So I feel like I fit right in!

It was great to connect with everyone on Discord, but I did often find myself missing some interesting conversation, or not aware of some useful prior topic of discussion that was being referenced. In real time discussions you often miss out if you’re not there in the moment. I suggested setting up a forum to help address some of these issues and @Karthikk was very receptive, so I jumped in with both feet to help make it a reality. Now here we are, just a couple weeks later, and I’m proud to have been a part of bringing this new facet of the community to fruition!

For a little background on me, I’ve been a computer and technology enthusiast since I was a kid, starting out with an Apple II and then one of the first Mac Classics, before moving on to IBM Tandys, 286s, and on down the PC treadmill). My father was a programmer (though I sadly didn’t follow directly in those footsteps), and I worked first in QA in the games industry, then in IT for many years, moving from games to education, then a tiny software company, and finally to real estate most recently. I still get to nerd out on technology at work (I implemented Fibery there recently!), and in my personal life I am a hardcore PKM, quantified self, and productivity enthusiast. I’m also an aspiring entrepreneur, like so many these days, filled with possibly dubious app or service ideas. :smile:

I use a variety of tools in my day-to-day, more than I’d like really, and I test a few more when I can. For notes I still have a lot of old content in Quip and so still have to use it regularly, but I’m moving a lot of that to Notion. Meanwhile my daily logging is in Roam, but I’m planning to move to Logseq or Obsidian soon. I use Keep and Notepad++ for quick notes. ToDoist for task management, but I’ve dabbled in ClickUp and TickTick. Hoping to try Amazing Marvin next. I’m also testing Anytype on Windows and Android, and looking forward to the Codex beta!

You can find out a little more about me and read some of what I’ve written on my website (work in progress :grinning:)

So, what brings you here?

3 Likes

Couldn’t have put it better myself :slight_smile:
That’s exactly what I love about the people in this community as well !

It sure has been a rollercoaster ride since you came up with that proposal and I have been enjoying this journey with you !
I am confident that this forum wouldn’t have been possible without your vision , persistence and project management skills and talents . I owe it all to you for working with me in setting all this up !
Looking forward to fostering this community on the long run , with you ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Karthikk! Likewise, :100:

2 Likes

Seconded, this is a fantastic execution and the perfect place to give permanence to the remarkably high quality conversation this community has become known for.

May our methods be many and may our productivity be permanent.

2 Likes