This is an attempt to bring the collective experiences of the members in the productivists community (also open for anyone from the outside) regarding ALIASing feature , in order to come up with a list of good (preferably detailed/complex) use cases and/or methodology that we have either seen in the apps that we have used in the past or that we have wished that our tool had .
- To create a detailed list of use cases , collected from everyone who’s interested in seeing a great alias workflow or function in a PKM tool .
- To make an attempt to come up with a design and/or methodology that would allow the tool achieve most of the use cases listed by us .
How can you contribute ?
- Post your ideas , workflows , needs , desires , experiences , current problems or anything related to Aliasing either here or in the discord chat following this message .
- Share the link of this post in twitter , FB, reddit or any other related community that you seem fit , where people might have spoken about these problems and encourage people to contribute their thoughts .
- Try to share you specific experience that you have had with Alias function in the current PKM tool / note taking tool that you are using , this will definitely help in understanding the current limitations and flaws .
Here goes !
The following is a small summary that i have made from the discussions that have happened earlier in our discord chat , it’s not exclusive , just a gist to get the discussions happening .
Use cases shared :
N.B : The following thoughts are mine(@Karthikk) and have been written with #RemNote in mind , so excuse the occasional reference to rem (instead of bullet/line/block) . I did so not because of my allegiance or prefernce for remnote, but because it was the developer of RemNote who offered to take our proposals into account before he finalised his alias feature . I think this is a great start and if we can pull this off as a community , working together in pushing our needs and concerns to the developers , we can all make great progress !
There are two types of aliasing that I am primarily interested in :
The smart linking (markdown links) type of Aliasing seen in Roam and Obsidian for block/line levels
It essentially lets me to retain the rem reference underneath a different text
It would just allow me to change the text according to the grammar for current passage , essential when am extracting rems from literature or fleeting notes into more permanent notes .
This type of aliasing should let me travel back to the original rem using some quasi mode click (shift + click) , while a normal click will let me edit the rem as usual .
This aliased text should preserve all attributes of a normal rem reference (back linking etc ) , but could denote that it has been edited while showing in the rem references search portal .
One could probably imagine this to be an extraction and processing of a rem into a more usable form . This could hence be also shown as a different type of backlink ( apart from as references , tags and portals open in documents ). A settings gear icon could be used to denote that a specific rem has been edited so many number of times .
I assume the first type should be fairly simple to achieve . But the real power comes when this aliasing pierces through searches and queries .
this type of aliasing involves a more intentional approach as we predetermine what a word / sentence should be associated with (linguistically) not because of relation or connection .
we should be able to store any number of variations for a rem as an alias . It could be saved in a slot under the zoomed in rem , similar to source under a document rem .
essentially what this should let me do is :
- Allow me to search for the rem by either typing the words in the original rem’s content or by typing the words contained in the alias . Once I select the rem using the search result and click enter , it should then prompt me with a list that allows me to select if I need the original rem content or any of the defined aliases as a reference .
- Also when I tag using any of the aliases it should tag add to the original tag counter of the rem , while also maintaining a separate count of tags and references for each alias. This is a very premium feature that could be figured out later , but it makes it really valuable for research and reflection on a PKM . I believe these small nuances make a lot of difference once the PKM becomes really big and it takes away the cognitive burden to organise and document how we have organised , just so we know how to retrieve something when needed .
P.S. This is just my initial half-formed opinions and thoughts , this will be edited based on further discussions with the community and lot more of community brought information would be added here eventually . This is just a seed , the end result may not be anything related to what exists in this post currently .
N.B. : Enthusiastic users who want to contribute more , could be consider to for a level up , that would essentially let them take part in the wiki part themselves . Contact the staff members if you are interested.